Change Your System Display Name


If you'd like to change the way your name is displayed in email and other SPU systems, e.g. Smith, Kenneth to Smith, Ken, follow the steps below.  If you need to change your legal name, that is still processed by SAS at  Employees should submit legal name changes through Human Resources in person.

Update Your Preferred Name in Banner

  1. Log into the Banner Info System (
  2. Go to the Personal Menu -> Personal Information Menu -> Update Name & Identity.
  3. In the Active Preferred Name section type your preferred name, as you would like to have your name appear in most SPU systems.
  4. Press Update Name.

It may take several days for your updated name to appear in all SPU systems.  Your legal name is required in some systems and on your SPU ID card.